Friday, September 22, 2006

Okay - so here we are on the doorstep of Tech Weekend.

Got any Tech weekend-Horror stories?

I was 22, working at the Kohler Arts Center in Sheboygan, WI as the TD. I was serving as the board programmer for the show and the LD was dictating all the cues to me over headset from the house. At the end of the cueing day he says "Great work, thank you. Please record the show on disc."

So I proceed to do so only I hit READ FROM DISC instead of RECORD TO DISC which basically erases 15 hours of work.

Needless to say, I was contrite and embarassed. The designer was understandably upset but after a brief tirade we got down to it and re-cued the show in two blistering hours of programming.

What about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was working as Stage Manager for All My Sons and we had a tree that had to fall on stage every night. Well night of preview I was eating dinner on the floor in the booth (the only private time I got) when all of a sudden I hear the dog tags on the tree hit the ground. I stand up to find the director and the scenic designer standing next to the tree. The only three people allowed to touch the tree were the TD, the actress who trips it and myself. Well the director wanted to show the scenic designer how to work the tree and instead of waiting for one of us to show up he tried to work it. But it didn't go so he pushed it and in doing so he broke the mechanism that made the tree fall over. SO I had to run tot get the TD who banged on the tree while the preview audience piled in cause it took 30 minutes to fix the tree. It was a nightmare. But funny to look back on.

Anonymous said...

i was there for that! i still don't think of it as funny. maybe more time?
--katie wilson